Monday, January 18, 2010

Everything Essential


We were strolling along in downtown Seattle, going 
no where in particular.

It strikes me as so poignant 
that we're looking in opposite directions.

I remember, feeling restless -
(and quietly disappointed) that day.
I had expected something else
(I don't know what, precisely), but not what showed up.

Meanwhile, He was content.
 With hands sticky from a yogurt snack
and a day that was warm and bright,

his intense and perfect face gazes 
across the street where 
life "on that side"
was so intriguing that in fact,  yes

yes, in fact
  he was tugging (just a bit) - as if to say,
 "Hey Mama, let's go look over there!"

Funny...
what stands out in one's memory after sixteen years:

small damp fingers,
deep restless sighs,
the sound of shoes on dry cement,
the need - no matter how separate our immediate desires -
 to stay connected to each other,

and the belief that holding hands
would keep everything essential intact.


 Reid and Martha - Seattle, Washington 1992 - Photo taken by Dan Rankin

2 comments:

  1. what wonderful words, and an oh-so-sweet photo. is that really you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing these poignant moments, Martha. Your lucid and poetic writing makes me feel as if I’m there. Your posts remind me how important it is, even in my hectic life, to be fully open, fully aware, each moment. Maybe I too can find the deeper meaning in everyday happenings. Please keep posting!

    ReplyDelete