Wednesday, February 17, 2010

See It All

this is not a time to close your eyes 

even though there is a sameness
to the ocean, the horizon,
the cirrus clouds

and the birds in flight
through the spectrum of green
and light-filled blue.
 

this time,
try to see it all.
 

begin to notice the long joyful glide,

that the pelican makes,
just above the sea's rolling
breath,
and the echoing shiver of your own belly’s undulating sigh.
 

begin to notice the delicate determined
curl of each wave

repeating, repeating, repeating to embrace
the shore,
and that one perfect moment
when it hangs - balanced
like a glassy transparent tunnel,
before curving within and
breaking onto the beach.
 

notice the pliant fine sand, the softness of
your skin and the tender renderings
they both long to be
 


breathe in the air, the warmth, the sadness
that momentarily suspends itself
and then drifts away
 


pay heed the love that

dilates your face and then

reflects off the whole of you,

and life, and the morning sunlight on the water



this is not a time to close your eyes, no beautiful one,


this time,
try to see it all
.












Martha Lee Phelps
March 09~February 2010

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for those words...When I went to school in Oregon I at first could not fall asleep. It wasn't because of homesickness it was because I couldn't hear the sea. Growing up all my life on an island in a beachfront house when suddenly the sounds of the ocean were gone I couldn't fall asleep...I must say though had I not gone away for college I would not have the appreciation for all those sights, smells and feelings you talk about in "See it all" I now never take for granted the feel of the sand, a beautiful wave or a Hawaiian sunrise or sunset..aloha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyle, Years ago a part of my falling in love with Reid and Sarah's dad took place on Vashon Island in the Puget Sound. I couldn't get enough of the sound of the lapping waves, the morning sun's blinding diamond-like reflections and especially - the way moon light reached across heaven and made the dark of the night and the cold Pacific ocean glow with warmth. After we split up, giving up Vashon was one of the hardest pieces for me. Your islands are tremendously beautiful also. If I were to spend too much time there, I'd probably never want to return to the mainland. I'm truly a beach baby at heart. Thank you for taking the time not only to read, but respond to my posts. You have a good heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed by your writing, Martha!
    The images are so clear -
    I had friends on Vashon. The beach was interesting and fun - always something new to see. My friends black lab would swim parallel to my walking as long as I kept throwing stones ahead of it.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete