Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Foreign Objects

Sometimes...
sometimes this life is a foreign object to me.

It's like something shiny but odd-looking,
that one comes across on the beach.

You pick it up
- two fingered because of the sand and the muck -

And notice right away that there's that one wicked sharp edge...
too sharp, in fact -
to smooth with the fat skin of your thumb.

But by using the edge of that soft old warm sweatshirt,
protection is gained as well as a glorious and unexpected sheen.

Thus pocketed, the mysterious find is safeguarded amongst agates, sand dollars, purple lint and torn grocery lists that you saved because the last item read:

"and I love you, my darling."



november 2010 © martha lee phelps

3 comments:

  1. i like this. a lot. It makes me smile
    -love grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity, the focus and the message.

    ReplyDelete