Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"Much More Than Just Sports"

Susan Casey said "Sports remain a great metaphor for life's more difficult lessons. It was through athletics that many of us first came to understand that fear can be tamed; that on a team the whole is more than the sum of its parts; and that the ability to be heroic lies, to a surprising degree, within." With this wisdom in mind, I'm honored to share the words of a guest poet this morning ~



Much More Than Just Sports
It is my escape.
My outlet.
My breakaway.
It is where I go, 
when it all becomes too much.
When insecurities come knocking
and school trips me up.
The adrenaline.
The energy.
The unimaginable passion.
That is where I turn.
Some call it sports,
but to me
it is so much more.
It is heart pounding
muscles tensing
mind quieting. 
It is running
jumping
kicking 
pushing
stepping
shoving
sweating.
When I start to play
all else fades.
And there I stand. 
The field 
The track
The pool
The gym
It all lays before me,
as I step out onto my stage.
It’s game time.

by Sarah Grace Cotton-Honeywell


2 comments: