Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Standing Fast

“I do not wish to treat friendships daintily, but with the roughest courage. When they are real, they are not glass threads or frost-work, but the solidest thing we know.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson 

It’s been one hell of a year.

Every single day when I awaken, I try to concentrate on the unexpected joys that surround radical change and practice counting the blessings that are so abundant in my life; however let’s face it, I’m a flawed human being. There are days I get mired in some of the sadness that change has imposed.

This morning in particular, I’m thinking about the unwritten guidebooks for surviving things like, being laid off from one’s job and long term unemployment, or having a marriage come to an end, or having a family member diagnosed with cancer. Specifically,  I’m wondering why there aren’t operating instructions for dealing with the loss of friends one once had, yet who drop away when life’s terrain gets bumpy and the view from the windows is less than scenic. Fair-weather friends, my mother used to call them: those who are most likely to appear when they are in need or, at best, when you are not in need. Because, let’s face it, friendship is sweeter when life is fun, right? A lot more work is required to remain present to someone who’s world has been turned on its axis.

Mind you, I’m not questioning WHY it happens. It happens for a myriad of reasons, such as:
  1. People don’t know what to say or do. Keeping a safe distance allows them to watch without touching and very little extra effort is required.
  2. Hard situations sometimes remind folks of their own problems - past or present - and they often don’t have the stamina for more.
  3. Sometimes it’s about inability to pay attention to a story that isn’t a Hollywood action flick but a slowly unfolding real life documentary. People bore easily.
  4. Folks get scared. They don’t want to admit it, but they’re afraid that if they get too close they might “catch” the problem. Like witnessing a friend’s divorce might cause one in their household, or knowing the reality and pain of cancer might cause a cell mutation in their family. Their fear takes on more meaning than their friendship.
  5. They just can’t be bothered. They don’t want to take the time. They’re over it - even if their friend isn’t.
Initially, I was hurt and angry knowing that friendships were evaporating for reasons that, in my judgment (with the exception of #2) were pretty messed up and selfish. But in classic Kübler-Ross movement through the stages of grief, I’ve come to realize that what I mainly feel now is a deep sense of sadness and believe it or not, a bit of gratitude.

Relationships may be sweeter when they’re only fun, but they’re not nourishing.

As this big year of changes continues to catalyze and the guidebooks write themselves along the way, I grieve the loss of those I thought I knew, and celebrate the unwavering true.

In the long haul, I’m grateful to know and love a few well-rooted old friends as well as some amazing new ones. I am honored by these full-hearted individuals who have courageously reached out across the rough scenery and despite my grief to stand fast. Ambose Redmoon said, “Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” 

Choosing love is that “something else.”

“When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advice, solutions, or cures,  have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing  and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.”  ~ Henri Nouwen

6 comments:

  1. I am moved to tears once again. You speak from my own heart, which is actually no surprise to me at this point, though no less touching than if I were discovering this connection of ours for the first time. Thank you for your courageous truth telling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Martha. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your prose is poetic in it's honesty, vulnerability, and beauty. Why is it through pain and suffering we often grow and learn the most? Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE YOU. No matter what. I feel supremely lucky and blessed to have you back and there's so MUCH to share. I support you in all the changes and I Can't Wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Martha for your beautiful candor. I've been reading your back blogs. I love Emerson...also Whitman, who I think could have had u in mind when he wrote...

    "All faults may be forgiven of him who has perfect candor." --Walt Whitman

    Life has so many death-rebirth storms and seems to invite us to sail them and in doing so, to learn how to sail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your gracious comments and feedback. I'm grateful to know you are out there and continue to trust that all will be well. Many blessings ~ mlp

    ReplyDelete